Mmmm. Mac N Cheese. It's one of my favorites. I crave it a lot. I like to eat it by itself, with some kind of fried meat, or I like to add some chicken and buffalo sauce if I'm feeling zesty. The homemade kind is what I'm talking about here. That Kraft instant stuff is yucky and cannot be trusted. But why would you go through the trouble of buying that Kraft crap when the homemade stuff is so easy to make anyway?
Here's my recipe for some good, southern comforting macaroni and cheese...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, until al dente and drain.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix until combined and bubbling. Add in milk and stir together. Let warm up for 1 minute, then begin adding in 3 cups of shredded cheese, a handful at a time, stirring constantly.
- Combine the sauce with the noodles and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour into an 8 x 8 baking dish. Top with 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese and crushed Ritz crackers.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until bubbly.